Luno teams up with FoodForward SA in the fight against hunger
We’ve teamed up with FoodForward SA, a South African-based Not-For-Profit organisation (NPO) fighting to reduce hunger in South Africa.
FoodForward SA, established in 2009, safely and cost-effectively recovers quality nutritious food from the supply chain for redistribution to its network of 2,750 beneficiary organisations that feed over 950 000 vulnerable South Africans daily.
By rescuing surplus food from manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers and farmers, they were able to distribute 48 million meals at a cost of only R0.68c per meal in the last financial year.
This year, FoodForward SA aims to feed even more people, and you have the chance to help them by giving back. By donating R250 in bitcoin from your Luno wallet directly to FoodForward SA, you’ll be able to feed one person every day for an entire year.
To find out how you can use your bitcoin for the greater good with FoodForward SA x Luno, follow the simple steps in the video below and head over to FoodForward SA’s donate page.
Do a lot for a little.
- How can I donate bitcoin to FoodForward SA using Luno?
- Open the Luno app
- Select Wallets in the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Select Send toward the top of the screen, then “Bitcoin” from the pop up menu.
- Click the QR code in the top right corner to scan the FoodForward SA QR code (or enter in the FoodForward SA Bitcoin wallet address)
- Follow the on-screen instructions to select the donation currency and enter amount
- Follow the on-screen instructions to confirm the transaction
- Who can donate bitcoin to FoodForward SA?
- Both Luno and non-Luno customers can donate bitcoin to FoodForward SA
- What is the smallest amount I can donate?
- The minimum amount that you can donate depends on the crypto wallet (or platform) that you’re using. Every crypto wallet (or platform) may have implemented their own limits which can usually be found on their website under their Help page or Terms & Conditions
- To send Bitcoin from your Luno wallet to the recipient’s QR code or receive address: The Minimum Threshold is USD10. 00, or its equivalent in any applicable Supported Cryptocurrency calculated on the day on which the liquidation is performed. This excludes any network fees that may be charged by the Bitcoin network
- Can we donate other cryptocurrencies such as Ethereum and XRP?
- Right now, no
- However, this may be implemented in the future
- Will I be charged any transaction fees when sending bitcoin to FoodForward SA using Luno?
- Yes, a small transaction fee will be charged when you donate. However, 100% of your donation will go to FoodForward SA
- The fee will be displayed on your Luno app before you confirm the transaction
- The fee varies dynamically depending on the bitcoin network. You can learn more about bitcoin network fees here
- I have enabled a security feature called “Disable Send” on my Luno account. Can I send bitcoin to FoodForward SA? How?
- Yes, but you need to enable send first (and wait for 24 hours for the send function to be reactivated on your account).
- Can donations be refunded?
- Donations are non-refundable.
- Are bitcoin donations to FoodForward SA tax deductible under Section 18A of the Income Tax Act?
- If you require a Section 18A certificate, please contact FoodForward SA after making your bitcoin donation: firstname.lastname@example.org