Miami mayor set to receive salary in Bitcoin
- Miami mayor Francis Suarez has pledged to take his next paycheck in Bitcoin.
- “I feel very comfortable getting my entire salary in Bitcoin,” he said in an interview with Fox Business. He also mentioned that he wants to make salaries paid in Bitcoin an option to city employees.
- “We want our employees to have that option but it’s certainly not going to be something that we’re going to force on them, ” he said
- While Suarez believes that receiving salary in BTC is a personal choice, among his own reasons is that he believes BTC is a hedge against inflation.
- “When governments are spending the kind of money that they are, when you have inflation at the point that it is, when you have rampant overspending in government and deficit spending, all of that pushes in favour of an increase in the price of Bitcoin,” said Suarez.
- Suarez, who is up for re-election, has long been a proponent for Bitcoin, and has previously shared his intentions to make Miami the crypto capital of the United States. Miami is also the host of one of the largest annual Bitcoin conferences in the world.
Did you find this useful?